Lanzi H. Meyers, J.D.
Lanzi Helms Meyers has been with the Gachassin firm and practicing law since 2012. After graduating from Catholic High School of New Iberia, she received her Bachelor of Science in Accounting at Louisiana State University. She then went on to Southern University Law Center for her Juris Doctor. She graduated Magna Cum Laude and was active with the Southern University Law Review.
Her areas of practice are healthcare regulatory, compliance, and transactional. She offers the following extensive services to clients:
- Serve in a general counsel role to hospitals and their governing bodies, rural health clinics, federally qualified health centers, physician practices, and other healthcare facilities;
- Provide guidance for compliance with and interpretation of the Stark Law, the Anti-Kickback Statute, the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (“HIPAA”), Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act (“EMTALA”), Louisiana Code of Governmental Ethics, Louisiana Hospital Service District Law, Louisiana Public Bid Law, and Louisiana Mental Health Law;
- Preparation and submission of licensing packets and plans of correction with the Louisiana Department of Health, including specialized units such as PPS excluded rehabilitation, psychiatric, and skilled nursing facility units;
- Preparation and submission of certification documents with the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services and Louisiana Medicaid;
- Preparation and implementation of comprehensive Compliance Programs, including serving as legal counsel to Compliance Committees and providing compliance assistance to Compliance Officers as needed;
- Preparation of all licensure, certification, and accreditation paperwork, including the development of policies and procedures and survey consulting, for Rural Health Clinics;
- Developing a HIPAA Compliance Toolkit, including policies and procedures and standard template forms for use in complying with all HIPAA/HITECH requirements;
- Drafting and redlining of Health Care Contracts, including but not limited to Physician Employment Agreements, Medical Director Agreements, Business Associate Agreements, Income Guarantee/Recruitment Agreements, and Management Agreements;
- Provide guidance pertaining to federal regulatory payment issues such as facility Conditions of Participation and provider-based reimbursement;
- Drafting of request for approval of an acquisition of a non-profit hospital with the Louisiana Attorney General’s Office;
- Drafting of request for opinions with the Louisiana Attorney General’s Office and Louisiana Board of Ethics;
- Review of medical record requests, powers of attorney, and subpoenas to ensure disclosure in compliance with state and federal law;
- Drafting and revision of Medical Staff Bylaws, Rules and Regulations, other Medical Staff policies and procedures; and
- Serve as legal counsel to health care facilities and physician practices engaging in acquisitions.
Lanzi is an Adjunct Professor at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette for Gachassin Law Firm’s health law MBA course. She is a Board Certified Health Law Specialist with the Louisiana Board of Legal Specialization and a Certified Rural Health Clinic Professional with the National Association of Rural Health Clinics. Lanzi is also a member of the American Health Lawyers Association, American College of Healthcare Executives, and Louisiana Hospital Association, and serves on the Board of Directors of the Boys and Girls Club of Acadiana.
She is originally from Jeanerette, grew up in New Iberia, and now lives in Lafayette with her two children, Jack and Sofia. In her spare time, Lanzi enjoys spending time with her family, riding her Peloton bike, running, cooking, and cheering on the LSU Tigers.